The Summit Bechtel Reserve Staff Association invites current alumni members of all four bases to take part in an amazing week-long trek down the New River!
This trek will begin at the Christen High Adventure Base at the Summit for shakedown followed by five days of paddling on the New River and wrap up back at the Summit to close things out. Most of this will be done on inflatable kayaks (class I-III rapids), with the last day on the river in a raft (class III-V rapids). Each night on the river you will set up camp in both primitive and front-country campsites and be guided by SBR seasonal staff with the final rafting day being provided by a local outfitter. Fishing is available if you would like to bring your own gear and purchase a WV fishing license. For more information about the SBR New River Trek, visit the website here:
Please note: In exceptionally high water, the entire trip may be conducted in rafts.
Please register through the SBRSA website instead of directly to the Summit.
To be eligible for this experience, participants must be a current member of one of our alumni associations (and at least 14 years of age by the start of the event):
• Summit Bechtel Reserve Staff Association
• Philmont Staff Association
• Sea Base Alumni and Friends Association
• Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association
They must also meet the following:
• Be a current member of the Boy Scouts of America
• Have proof of current Youth Protection Training (anyone 18 and up)
• Have a current physical on the BSA Annual Health & Medical Record, meet the height/weight requirements for BSA high adventure activities
• Be physically/mentally prepared to paddle through rapids and camp in tents along the river
• Have passed an annual BSA Swimmer test